Bay Scallops Tiradito
Virgilio Martinez’s Central restaurant in Lima is currently one of the best in town and a must-visit place for visiting foodies.
He is also Executive Chef of Lima Restaurant in London where head chef Robert Ortiz runs the kitchen. Tiradito is slightly different from ceviche, but every bit as delicious.
50g white onion, chopped
2 g garlic, chopped
1g fresh ginger root, chopped
40g celery, chopped
30ml passion fruit purée
Juice of 1.5kg of limes
10g fresh cilantro (coriander) leaves, chopped
1 Limo chili pepper, cleaned, seeded and minced
2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1cm cubes
200g brown sugar
1 whole star anise
1 whole cinnamon stick
100ml vegetable oil
Cilantro (coriander) sprouts for garnish
Black salt for garnish
1. To prepare the ‘Leche de Tigre’ (literally Tiger’s Milk, ie the sauce): Briefly process the white onion, garlic, ginger root, celery and water in a blender. Strain through a fine colander and add the cilantro and limo chili pepper to the liquid. Allow to rest a few seconds, and then add the lime juice and passion fruit purée.
2. Using a very sharp knife slice the scallops into disks about 4 mm thick.
3. Mix the slices of scallops with the Leche de Tigre and add a few ice cubes. Set aside to marinate.
1. Place the water in a medium stock pot along with the brown sugar, star anise and cinnamon stick. Bring to the boil and add the sweet potato cubes. Simmer until just soft. Drain and set aside. Continue boiling the liquid until reduced to a light syrup.
2. Purée half of the cooked sweet potato cubes. This will serve as a decorative base on the dinner plate.
3. Fry the other half of the sweet potato cubes in the vegetable oil, drain and toss in the light syrup prepared from the sweet potato cooking liquid.
1. Arrange the scallop disks in a line on a large dinner plate, using a small amount of the Leche de Tigre as a base. Sprinkle the scallops with black salt and garnish with cilantro sprouts. Add some Leche de tigre on top.
2. Make a decorative swathe across the plate using the sweet potato purée. Arrange the sweet potato cubes on top of the purée.